While we live in a World ultimately controlled by our Creator/God, the World is currently allowed to be under the influence and power of Satan, the Prince of the Air. However, there will soon come a time when God’s Kingdom will be the sole government existent on a renewed Earth.
While our Republic was created largely by Judeo-Christians, America is not, and never will be a “Christian” nation. However, our people were once declared to be largely “a religious people” by the U.S. Supreme Court (1892), and in 1844 Christianity was declared to be part of the Common Law of Pennsylvania.
Note also the following quotes from Penn, deTocqueville, Adams and Washington at our Nation’s outset:
• William Penn – “Those who will not be governed by God will be ruled by Tyrants;”
• deTocqueville – “There is no country in the world where the Christian religion retains a greater influence over the souls of men than America;”
• John Adams – “Our Constitution was designed only for a moral and religious people; it is wholly inadequate for the government of any other; ” and
• George Washington – “Of all the dispositions and habits which lead to political prosperity, religion and morality are indispensable supports; they are twin pillars upon which our government rests.”
As George Washington stated in his inaugural address – our Nation (or any Nation) –– will be under God’s protection only so long as it acknowledges God for all of its Blessings, and honors the Nation Israel.
The U.S. Constitution’s First Amendment “freedom of religion” was not intended to compel a “separation” of Church and State; rather its original intent was to allow the Judeo-Christian tenets to be all pervasive among the people whether exercised in private or the public arena.
In similar vein are God’s commands that God must be first and foremost in our lives. This in turn allows us to agape’ love our neighbors as ourselves and treat every human equally – without even a hint of prejudice.
Scripture teaches that all governmental authorities are established by God and their subjects/citizens are commanded to submit to them. Such submission is due and necessary for order and peace to prevail. Similarly, note Jesus’ command: “Render unto Caesar that which is Caesar’s, and unto God that which is God’s.
The primary purposes of government are two-fold:
• establish and maintain peace
and freedom from conflict from without and within; and
• perform those things that only government can do, e.g., maintaining infrastructure, police/ fire protection, postal service, etc.
When governments go beyond these purposes they run into trouble – often due to creating huge, national debt.
In choosing America’s President we are not engaged in selecting a “Priest in Chief,” nor necessarily even a God-fearing man or woman.
If one has cancer, one seeks the best possible physician.
The leader of our Nation should foremost be a person committed to meeting the 2 primary objectives of government.
Of course, all Americans – including their leaders – should seek God’s protection and Blessings by following God’s commands to:
• keep God first, from whom all good things flow; and
• honoring the Nation Israel for which God promises Blessings.
Finally, parents should teach their children the “fruits of the Holy Spirit”, namely:
Love for one another (acts not just talk), seeking the highest good of others, patience, kindness, mercy, self-control, humility/gentleness, peace and joy; while
avoiding self-pride, selfish ambition, idolatry, greed, slander, sexual immorality, malice, and factious behaviour.
While America’s leader should personally exhibit these traits it is essential that parents do so.
In a World where evil and evil leaders reign, know that God uses all leaders to accomplish His Will. Indeed, it is often through evil that God’s Will is most dramatically displayed.
So how to respond to America’s Trump(et) call?
First, take comfort in knowing that God is in ultimate control, will produce His Will, and move all Nations closer to the time Satan is banished, and God establishes
His Kingdom on Earth. (Note: Current efforts of U.S. to develop a peace treaty for Israel and to reestablish the prominence of Jerusalem.)
Second, know that without the righteousness of God, no one is “good”, and no one but God can judge the human heart.
Third, be mindful of America’s history and God’s Scriptural teachings.
Fourth, in this particular time, take note of the Scriptural “Feast of the Trumpets” – a current metaphoric reference not lost on God!
• The Feast of Trumpets in the Torah commences with blowing of the shofar, calling the Israelites to repentance and making God’s appeal for atonement.
• The Trumpet calls in the New Testament are likewise meant to awaken people to repentance, fear of God, and God’s coming Judgment.
Finally, as in “For whom does the bell toll” in responding to the Trump(et) call, our primary focus should not be on America’s leader, but on ourselves, and the all important needs of each of us for self-examination, repentance and redemption.